We are committed to bettering our community of coaches, providing opportunities for coaches to continually learn and improve. We work with organizations like SportMed BC, Coaching Canada and viaSport to make these courses possible.
NCCP – Intro to Competition – Basic Mental Skills
The Basic Mental Skills module gives you the ability to:
- recognize signs indicating that an athlete may need to improve his/her goal setting, focus, and anxiety control skills; and develop tools to help the athlete to make improvements in these areas;
- run simple guided activities that help athletes improve basic mental skills.
NCCP – Intro to Competition – Planning a Practice
This module will help you:
Organize a well-structured practice plan with safe, age-appropriate activities you’ve designed to match the proficiency level of participants; identify potential risk factors that could impact the sport and practice activities; create an emergency action plan; identify practice goals and design activities that offer the best training benefits for the athletic skills required in your sport.
NCCP – Intro to Competition – Teaching and Learning
Upon completing the Teaching and Learning module you will be able to:
- assess your own beliefs regarding effective teaching;
- analyze certain coaching situations to determine if they promote learning;
- create conditions that promote learning and self-esteem through:
- appropriate consideration of the affective, cognitive and motor dimensions of learning;
- the use of words and methods that relate to an athlete?s preferred learning style;
- a sound organization;
- active supervision; and
- the use of well-formulated feedback offered at the right time and with the right frequency.
- use teaching assessment grids to gather objective information on teaching effectiveness and use
NCCP Aboriginal Coaching Module Workshop
The professional development of Aboriginal coaches through NCCP certification has been identified by the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC) as a national priority. In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Aboriginal peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Aboriginal coaches taking NCCP workshops. The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Aboriginal cultures, values, and lifestyles.
The ACM is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP. The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following objectives:
– Provide culturally relevant training workshops to Aboriginal coaches and community sport leaders;
– Elevate the capacity of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches to coach Aboriginal athletes;
– Improve the quality of the sport experience for Aboriginal athletes;
– Improve the coach’s understanding of, and ability to apply, Aboriginal culture to sport and to coaching techniques and tactics;
– Allow Aboriginal communities greater accessibility to the NCCP;
– Increase the number of NCCP certified Aboriginal coaches;
– Make the wisdom of Aboriginal culture available to both Aboriginal and mainstream sport.